The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission. This includes information shared between an adolescent client and the therapist. Any information shared by a teen, in a therapy session, is confidential, unless a safety issue is present or unless the child volunteeers information to his or her parent.
Chat or Text Sessions are done through Tiger Text. All session content is deleted after 30 days. Tiger text uses HIPPAA compliant encryption for all content. Please see their website for more info.
In person session records and online session forms are kept secure as hard copy records for no less than seven years
- Suspected child abuse or dependant adult or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in insuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission that are provided to me by law in order to ensure their safety.
- Any information required by a court order
- Email communication is never 100% secure